The 1 year English-language program in Paris for foreign students provides a solid foundation in filmmaking: combining theoretical knowledge about the history and art of cinema, with ‘hands-on’ technical training using film, sound, and lighting equipment. While classes deepen their knowledge and appreciation of filmmaking – as an art, a process and an industry – students also participate in group projects and can borrow school equipment to write, direct and shoot their own short movies in their free time.
The program offers students an overview of the various jobs involved in the production of films and television. This allows them to determine which specialization to pursue, which further studies or training they may need, and what career they would like to have in the filmmaking and television industry.
Students also have the option to do a first internship in the film and television industry at the end of the one year program. Although students are responsible for searching the company for their internship, ESRA International provides necessary official documents, insurance, and other support according to the internship’s location in France or abroad.
The 1 Year program can be done on its own as a foundational course in filmmaking or students can further develop their professionals skills and specialize by pursuing a 2nd and 3rd year at ESRA, as part of the English-language 3 Year program.
LECTURES AND PRACTICAL WORKSHOPS
- Understand the aesthetic and technical aspects of creating image and sound, from early cinema to contemporary film
- Learn the essential rules of visual storytelling and screenwriting
- Train in directing and develop ‘hands-on’ skills in cinematography, video, lighting, sound recording and editing – taking on different roles in a film crew.
- To shoot a photo story, record audio, and edit together a 2 to 3 minute audiovisual photo slideshow (team of 2)
- To begin writing and prepare for a 1 to 3 minute short film project (individual or team of 2 to 5), with students choosing to produce either a fiction film or a documentary
- To begin writing and preparing for the final 5 minutes group film project (team of 10)